United Way of Charlotte County is recruiting volunteers to serve as tax preparers, greeters, and site coordinators/quality reviewers for the 2021 tax season. Flexible hours and locations are available. Volunteering for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is a fun and easy way to help others in our community. You don’t need to be a numbers-person to help, either! The software (a partnership between Tax-Slayer and the IRS) does all of the heavy lifting. Over 85% of our volunteers have had no prior experience in tax prep.
Trained volunteer tax preparers will assist qualified clients by preparing simple tax returns. Our volunteers help working individuals and families keep their hard-earned money. All volunteers receive FREE comprehensive training and certification in partnership with the IRS. No experience is necessary. Volunteers receive the materials for self-study on basic income tax law for federal returns. In addition, several specific training sessions will take place beginning in November through late January prior to the kickoff of the 2021 tax season. Volunteers are covered under the Volunteer Protection Act and are not accountable for tax returns filed to the IRS.
Safety is a top priority for United Way of Charlotte County (UWCC). UWCC's VITA Program will be following CDC Guidelines for COVID-19 health and safety protocols including wearing face masks.
In addition, we will be offering the following options for tax preparation:
- In-Person - Similar to previous years with the addition of health and safety guidelines being followed (detailed at the bottom of this page).
- Low Contact - Volunteers will not have in-person contact with clients. The clients will drop off their tax documents to an intake person. The volunteers will prepare the return at a location with other volunteers present. Volunteers will have the opportunity to call the client with any necessary questions. Clients will return to the dropoff site to pick up their returns.
- No Contact - Same as the above process for low contact, but volunteers will work out of the comfort of their homes.
We are currently seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Volunteer Tax Preparers help individuals and families prepare their tax returns and ensure all eligible taxpayers receive their qualifying tax credits.
- Volunteer Greeters welcome VITA participants to the site and ensure that they are prepared with all required documentation to meet with the tax preparer.
- Volunteer Site Coordinators/Quality Reviewers manage the operations of the United Way VITA site, including volunteer staff and quality control.
These roles contribute to families’ financial stability every year. Behind every return there is a story. Volunteers hear these stories and experience first-hand how they are making a difference every time they volunteer.
Get involved and help us make an impact on Charlotte County!
For more information on VITA volunteer opportunities, contact Nadia Demyanovskiy at VITA@unitedwayccfl.org or 941-627-3539.
Do you have tax questions or need help with your tax return? Click here to get connected to VITA!
Do you want more information on the impact United Way of Charlotte County has with our VITA program? Click here to read all about it!
COVID-19 Safety Precautions:
Safety is a top priority for United Way of Charlotte County (UWCC). UWCC's VITA Program will be following CDC Guidelines for COVID-19 health and safety protocols. We will adhere to the following at all tax preparation sites:
- Masks must be worn
- Hand sanitizer will be made available
- Temperature checks for those on site
- Option to wear disposable gloves
- Social distancing guidelines will be adhered to
- Option to use your own personal computer