May 7, 2020
Why the Census and Voting Matter to our Community
United Way of Charlotte County (UWCC) fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community. We take actions and provide resources to support strong, healthy and resilient communities. That inclues helping individuals be active in civic society. That's why UWCC is participating in the national initiative United We Count, United We Vote, an effort to increase participation in the census and voting.
How can you join in?
1. Complete the 2020 census
The 2020 census is a count of every person in every community. But it's more than just knowing how many people live in each city. The census helps determine the share of political power and federal funding across different communities. Participating in the census is in everyone's best interest, because it helps community leaders and elected officials plan for school class sizes, healthy facilities, public stransit, and the placement of grocery stores.
Every election helps determine the distribution of critical resources and political representation at the local, state and federal levels. The upcoming election is no different. Voting is not only your responsibility but it's also your opportunity to show up for yourself, your family, your future and your community. Make a plan to vote today, share it with the people in your lives and then follow through!
3. Give to United Way of Charlotte County
We believe everyone should have the opportunity to thrive. To make that happen we invest resources into our region to:
- Give people the education and tools to get better jobs and build a solid foundation that improves their lives and the lives of their children.
- Connect youth with the education and support they need for good-paying jobs and lifelong careers.
- Help children get a stong start in life, start school ready to succeed and build critical reading skills to equip them for success in school, work and life.
- Increase access to health care, as well as healthy foods, activities and environments, so individuals and families can have healthier beginnings and healthier lives.
To do more, we need your help to mobilize the power of our community to break the cycle of poverty. Community mobilizers like you can help make sure that everyone gets the support they need. Please consider your role in Charlotte County today. Help give everyone in our community the chance they deserve to succeed.